Sunday, September 26, 2010

Acorn Squash Soup

I take part in a cooperative produce buying called Bountiful Baskets. I never know for sure what I'm going to get, so it has really inspired my creativity with vegetables in my cooking. I had never done anything with acorn squash before, and I wanted something I could base a meal around, not just a side. This was the perfect solution. It has a rich and full flavor. My kids love this! They eat it right up, and will ask to have the leftovers for lunch the next day. Definitely a hit!

Ingredients:
1 small onion chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery (I've made it without this in a pinch, still good)
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp curry powder
dash cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
Salt and pepper to taste
5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour, bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add squash, salt and pepper; heat through.
In a blender, process the soup (in batches if necessary) until smooth. Pour into bowls; garnish with bacon.

Quick tip: To quickly cook your squash, cut in half lengthwise (from stem to blossom end) and place cut side down in a microwave safe baking dish with half and inch of water. Cover and cook on high for 10 to 15 minutes until skin is tender when pierced with a fork. This is a big time saver. It would take 45-60 minutes in the oven.

2 comments:

Kellan and Rikki-Leigh said...

Delish!!! I used one acorn squash and one butternut. Also, I was out of celery, so I added a little bit of celery seed. Mmmmmm! Thanks for the recipe!

Mommy Melissa said...

Glad you liked it. I was giving Zee the recipe, and remembered that I use celery seed too when I don't have celery on hand. I'll have to try mixing squash the next time. Sounds good!