Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Note: The original recipe calls for 6 large peppers, but I can never make the "stuffing" stretch to fill more than 4. Maybe I'm getting extra large peppers, but I'm changing the the recipe from 6 to 4. The chili pepper was my own addition. I planted an anaheim pepper plant in my garden this year that is producing like crazy. I've been adding them to practically everything I cook in an effort to use them. But I think it was a nice flavor addition. It would be considered a very mild pepper.

Ingredients:
4 Large bell peppers (any color, but I prefer red)
1 pound lean ground beef
2 TBS chopped onion
1 TBS chopped mild to hot chili pepper (optional) (I used an anaheim from my garden)
1 cup cooked rice
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (feel free to substitute dried minced garlic, or garlic power)
1 (15 oz) can OR 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Cut a thin slice from the stem end of each bell pepper to remove top. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover in a 4-quart Dutch oven (that basically means a large pot with a lid, but I never use the lid because that just makes it boil over=big mess) about 5 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, cook beef, onion and chili pepper over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown (approx. 10 minutes); drain. Stir in rice, salt, garlic 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 cup of tomato sauce; heat through.
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Stand peppers upright in ungreased square baking dish (8"x 8"x 2"). Pour remaining tomato sauce over top of peppers. I pour it on like a cap over the filling, then poke gently with a knife so it will seep down.
Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bade about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.


This is one my husband requests by name!

No comments: